Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sealed Room

Yesterday, my foot was so swollen that it looked like my foot had two ankles, one right below the other. My bedroom faces east on the 2nd floor of this two story, modestly sized colonial. A small bathroom and a bedroom with a 4 season room finishes the upper story. A stair case coming off of the face of the bathroom leads to the living room downstairs. The front door lies a bit off of the mouth of the stair. The living room opens to a dining room and then to the kitchen. A glass and screen door open to the backyard.

With my swollen foot, I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it back up the stairs if I went to the kitchen for something to eat. The toilet was upstairs. It would be an uncivilized problem if I went downstairs. The pain deadened my appetite, so I didn't feel much like eating anyway, so I stayed upstairs.

I lay with my foot raised on a sleeping bag. I considered the work that I had. I thought about calling work to see if someone could bring by some shop tickets, so I could check them for fabrication. I could toss my key down the window. Once I thought about it again, it would help, because the front and side doors had locks that could only be unlocked from the inside.

So as long as my foot limited me, I was in a sealed space. Now, I could have slid downstairs on my butt in an emergency, but in from a certain perspective, I was in a Sealed Room. I could not get out. No one could get in. The feeling was claustrophobic, especially since Sealed Rooms attract murders, like master detectives generate cases. After all, no one could possibly get involved in so many cases by random happenstance. I postulate that Sealed Rooms are similar.

It was a strange feeling when usual entrances and exits, which I usually used without a second, looked like impenetrably barriers. Stranger still that my world would be limited to three rooms, when I usually could hop into my car and range for a dozens of miles. That my sky would be 8 foot nine inches high. While my foot fevered my body and the pain made itself feel permanent, my mind painted a picture of a home become a prison.

What a strange waking dream it was.

No comments: