Saturday, July 25, 2009

Boogiepop Loosing the Mystery

Boogiepop Phantom was stylish, mysterious and confusing. However, the obfuscation helped to create a dense atmosphere. Much of that mask was torn away in Boogiepop at Dawn, which relied on heavy exposition and switched often to the oppositions' point of view, such as Mo Murder from the Towa Organisation or the monstrous psychiatrist Fear Ghoul.

Upon first read, I was upset by the loss of mystery. I had another go at it and chilled out a bit. No work is perfect, and I knew that Boogiepop was far from it. The franchise got about as far away from that as it could during the teenie-bopper flick Boogiepop & Others.

With adjusted expectations, the collection of stories in Boogiepop at Dawn did flesh out the many gaps in the story left by the other light novels and provided more back story to what happened four to five years before B. Phantom. The collection of stories also ended at a pretty cool scene that earned back points marked off previously, but I won't spoil it. I'll just say that it cemented coolness of Boogiepop. [1]

[1] Or rather, I should say as an engineer that it hydrated the cement.

No comments: