Friday, July 10, 2009

Haruhi Season 2: Really Endless Eight

The arc Endless Eight will probably end in episode 5, but not before confounding (what I imagine) are most fans' expectations of a convenient end to the endless loop. Instead, there have been at least three iterations of the loop shown. For a show that began with episode 0, leapt through its own timeline, and then ninja ambushed the fans with the second season, there looping of the endless eight, should not be a surprise, yet it still surprised me.

Though the repeats jerks my chain with each rewind, I'm glad that Kyoto Ani isn't resting on their laurels. Sieg Kyon!

Update: Just watched 5, refusing to bow to rules or popularity pressure, Kyoto Ani continues Endless Eights for another week. I wonder if a mix up like season one would have worked better, but they strive to defy expectation.

Update 2: Episode 6 continues to loop the Endless Eights. Keep 'em guessing and stressing! I suppose that there's a good reason why there isn't a preview at the end of each episode. Keep 'em coming Kyoto Ani!

Update 3: I just watched the breaking of the loop at Episode 9. I was late to the game, but it was still a relief to see it end.

No comments: